Wild Hog Cookoff Rules|
1. The entry fee is fifty
($50) dollars, paid in
|2. Each team will be assigned
a number and only the Cook-Off Director will know
3. The Cook-Off area will open Saturday morning on March 12, 2005 at 7:00 a.m. and each team will be assigned a designated area (approx. 14 ft. x 30 ft.). At
9:30 a.m., Saturday morning, March 12, 2005, the entrance gate to the Cook-Off area will be locked and NO VEHICLES of any type WILL BE ALLOWED TO REMAIN ON THE GROUNDS.
Exit gates are locked at 10:00 a.m. Gates will reopen by 6 p.m. and all contestants need to clean and vacate their spot no later than 9 p.m.
(Note: Five (5) ground passes and only five will be issued for each space rented. You may purchase additional passes at the office. If you do not receive your passes by March 1, you must call in advance or you will be charged for replacement bands. There is not electricity available
for cook-off spaces and no generators or campers will be allowed
in the cook-off spaces. Fines will be charged to those found illegally hooked up to electricity outlets on the grounds.|
4. Each team must have their own pit and furnish their own firewood or charcoal and as much raw wild hog meat as desired. All fires must be completely extinguished with water and soil before you leave the area. All meat must be raw when brought onto the grounds and cooked while on site. Any cooked meat presented for judging found to have been brought onto the grounds precooked will automatically be disqualified from judging. Any meat brought on the grounds needs to be taken with you. DO NOT DUMP MEAT ON GROUNDS. There are limited water faucets available on the grounds in the cook-off areas. We recommend you bring your own drinking water.|
5. At 10:30 a.m. there will be a meeting of all head cooks
at which time the Cook-Off Director will provide instructions on the judging process. This is in the Exhibitor Hall.
You may choose to enter either BAR-B-Q or EXOTIC, but a team can only enter one TASTE division per cook-off space, to be judged. In the exotic category the hog meat must be prepared any way except barbecued. At 12:00 Noon approximately TWO POUNDS OF WILD HOG MEAT (no tamales) will be delivered on a tray to the Cook-Off Director at the La Salle County Exhibit Hall (window on north side of building). The BAR-B-Q entry should contain MEAT ONLY. The trays will be provided by the Cook-Off Director and must be picked up at the office, as well as a tray for ARTISTIC PRESENTATION. If a team chooses to use its own tray for ARTISTIC PRESENTATION, it becomes the property of the Fair Association if not picked up by 6:00 p.m.
Saturday. The tray should not exceed 18" x 18".|
6. SHOWMANSHIP judging will be conducted between 12:00 Noon and 1:00 p.m.
wanting to compete must place the red sign on their
spot so judges can identify your space with your
animals may be used in the display (Rule #9).|
7. No team member will be allowed in the TASTE and ARTISTIC PRESENTATION judging areas.|
8. No cook-off spaces will be sold to anyone under 18 years of age. |
9. No pets (animals)
are allowed on the grounds. No live snakes are allowed on the grounds. If you plan to cook them, they must be dead before bringing them onto the grounds.|
10. There will be (3) categories for judging and the following awards will be presented:|
|Is open to the world.
The entry may be prepared either BAR-B-Q or
EXOTIC as long as wild hog meat is used as
the main ingredient (no tamales). Trophies
will be presented for the Grand Champion, Reserve
Champion and Third Place for each
| ARTISTIC PRESENTATION
(two different divisions)|
|Edible - All
items on the tray must be edible. The main
emphasis should be to display the hog
|Non-Edible - The
tray may contain both edible and non-edible
items. The main emphasis should be to
display the hog meat and carry out the theme of
are to be brought to the Show Barn between 12 Noon and 12:30 p.m.
should be no larger than 18" x 18". Any
larger entry will not be
- Trophies will be presented to First
through Third Place in each of the above
- The team's designated area
should be decorated depicting theme of cook-off
and will be judged accordingly.
- Trophies will be presented
to First through Third Place.
OPTIONAL FOR A TEAM TO ENTER THE "ARTISTIC
PRESENTATION" AND "SHOWMANSHIP"
|11. The decision
of the judges is final.|
|12. Each Head
Cook is responsible for the cleanliness of
assigned area and conduct of team members and
|13. Winners will be
announced at approximately 4:45 p.m., SATURDAY,
in the livestock show barn and you must be
present to pick up your award. Pictures are
taken at that time.|
|14. Clean up
your area when the Fair is over. If your
area is not cleaned to its original state and
your fire totally put out , you will
be charged $50.00 for clean-up. Anything
left on the grounds after Monday, March 15th will
become the property of the Fair
|15. Theme for 2005
and Wild Hogs, Too”.|
|If you are interested
in entering the 2005 La Salle County Wild Hog Cook-Off,
you will need to complete a cook-off
application and submit it to the La Salle County
Download copy of Cook-Off Application (PDF format)